Greg Olsen wants to make sure Cam Newton isn't forgotten

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
zic39f4nnjquhme1ctjj

After the event, Olsen offered a mea culpa, saying he had an entire section of his speech written about Newton. Unfortunately, "in the midst the emotions and trying to cover a lot of bases," Olsen forgot that part.

And as he enjoyed a chance to celebrate his own career, he said he hopes Newton gets his.

"He deserves it," Olsen said. "If there's a list of people who love Cam and care for him and appreciate him, I'm at the top of it. I've said before, he's the best thing that ever happened to my career. I don't know if I have the career I had if not for the nine years I spent with him. He made me a better player. We enjoyed each other as people. We're very different people, and I think that's what made it so special and made our connection so unique.

"When Cam's day is done, I don't know when that will be, how many years from now, . . . when that day is come, if anybody has earned the right to have a day like today to recognize all he gave to this organization, putting this organization on the map nationally, it was him, it was Luke Kuechly, it's guys that transcended being good football players, they were generational football players.

"He's a guy who earned the right to get his send-off whenever that time comes. And there's a hundred other guys that played with him that feel the way I feel about him. I hope that day we can all be there and give him the send-off he deserves."